Former Nigerian President Goodluck Jonathan escaped Guinea-Bissau unharmed on Thursday after a military coup toppled the government during his election monitoring mission. The Nigerian Federal Government confirmed his safe departure via a special flight from the West African nation, along with his delegation including Mohamed Chambas. Jonathan had led the West African Elders Forum team to oversee Sunday’s presidential and legislative polls.
Soldiers seized power on Wednesday, declaring full control and suspending all electoral activities. They accused “national drug lords” of plotting to import weapons and disrupt the constitutional order. Heavy gunfire echoed near the presidential palace as troops blocked routes and closed borders, which reopened later that day.
The coup ousted incumbent President Umaro Sissoco Embalo, who told France24 that he had been deposed. Military leaders, including General Denis N’Canha and General Lansana Mansali, announced the takeover. Over 6,700 security personnel had guarded the elections amid rising tensions.
Jonathan joined forces with Filipe Nyusi of the African Union mission and Issifu Kamara of the ECOWAS team in a joint statement. They condemned the putsch as a grave threat to democracy and urged calm among citizens. The trio reaffirmed their commitment to Guinea-Bissau’s peace and stability.
Nigeria’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs spokesperson, Kimiebi Ebienfa, eased fears in Abuja. “Former President Goodluck Ebele Jonathan is very safe and out of Guinea-Bissau,” she said. The government decried the events with “profound dismay,” calling them a violation of ECOWAS protocols on good governance.
This latest upheaval marks the fourth successful coup in Guinea-Bissau since independence, plunging one of the world’s poorest nations deeper into turmoil. Jonathan’s steady hand in crises abroad now turns homeward, a quiet relief for a leader who faced shadows not his own.

2 comments
https://shorturl.fm/x73c5
https://shorturl.fm/80e3T